Location: Texas, statewide
Starting Salary: $42,000
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Texas AFT is seeking a full-time Organizer to join an ongoing campaign to build worker power within the public school system. Organizers perform a number of duties, including recruiting new members, identifying potential leaders and activists, implementing and identifying issue campaigns and tracking data in their assigned areas. Our organizing includes work with established locals, Organizing Committees to build new locals, and statewide new organizing in our Associate Membership Program.
Applicants should have a working knowledge of unions and a commitment to the labor movement. Some organizing experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
This job requires often long and irregular hours, some weekend work, and travel.
Specific job duties include:
- Identifying, recruiting, and training volunteer leaders.
- Taking direction from the Project Director and the Lead Organizer on daily and weekly activities to grow AFT membership in the assigned school districts.
- Ensuring that sufficient progress is being made for all short- and long-term goals.
- Developing and managing relationships with local leaders and volunteers.
- Reporting daily regional activities and regular program results.
- Contributing to a positive work environment and culture throughout the project.
- Occasionally, assignment as a formula rep in other parts of the state or country as required for short periods of time.
- Monitoring and tracking relevant school board policy and other regulations.
- Implementing other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully relate to and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Capable of conducting effective one-on-one conversations to move workers to action.
- Experience using social media to communicate and engage workers.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Proven experience excelling in fast paced and metrics-driven work environments.
- Willingness to think creatively and solve problems proactively.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others.
- Ability to build and manage relationships.
- Some knowledge of public sector unions in non-collective bargaining situations is preferred
- Ability to conduct meetings via Zoom or other electronic means.
Other requirements and expectations:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have a valid Texas driver’s license, current insurance, and reliable transportation
- Willingness to travel for participation in Texas AFT/AFT campaigns or events
- Spanish speaker, a plus
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary for this position is $42,000 and is part of a collective bargaining agreement with the staff union. In addition to base salary, the position offers a wide range of benefits including:
- Benefits of a union contract
- Fully paid health and dental insurance for the employee and one dependent
- Fully paid disability income insurance for the employee and $50,000 term life insurance
- Paid sick and vacation leave per year
- Retirement contribution
Submit résumé, writing sample, and references to:
- Texas AFT — Tanner Williams, Director of Organizing & Operations
For questions, call .
Equal Opportunity Employer and all are encouraged to apply.